Through the chairholders, students and researchers (including postdocs) are made aware of and educated in the importance of international nature conservation, its scientific foundation and the dilemmas occurring in international nature conservation. For scientists, the Prince Bernhard Chairholders are important interlocutors, and they stimulate more research into international nature conservation issues.
Previous chairholders are: Norman Meyers (1987-1992), Jeffrey Sayer (1994-2003), Jack Putz (2004-2009), Bill Laurance (2010-2014) and Jaboury Ghazoul (2015-2020) https://www.uu.nl/en/research/ecology-and-biodiversity/prince-bernhard-chair/prince-bernhard-chair-holders
The customary UU procedures for renewing the special Chair apply.
When a new chairholder is recruited, the UU Appointments Advisory Committee, also called Constitution Committee, which includes members of the UU curatorium, will make a nomination proposal to the Board of the UU.
This committee consists of:
- Prof. Dr G.A. (George) Kowalchuk, UU Biology, chairman
- Prof. Dr H.A.B. (Han) Wösten, UU Biology/ Director of Education
- Prof. Dr R.G.A. (René) Boot, UU Biology/Tropenbos International
- Prof. Dr E.B. (Annelies) Zoomers, UU Geosciences
- Prof. Dr P.A. (Pieter) Zuidema, WUR, Forest Ecology and Forest Management
- Drs A.P.J.M (Alex) van Hooff, chairman Foundation Prince Bernhard Chair
- Ms M. (Monique) Grooten, Director science and learning WWF Netherlands
- Dr M. (Marijke) van Kuijk, UU Biology, coördinator Prins Bernhard Chair
The curatorium is supervising the Special Chair. The curatorium consists of:
- Prof. Dr G.A. (George) Kowalchuk (chairman)
- Prof. Dr R.G.A (René) Boot
- Prof. Dr E.B. (Annelies) Zoomers
- Prof. Dr P.A. (Pieter) Zuidema